OK, here's an idea for a practical benchmark

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OK, here's an idea for a practical benchmark

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Sat May 18, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm going to suggest we start with a benchmark design for how to best bore and sleeve the cylinders for a close to 4 adhesion value at 180 PSI. Also, how to best bore and alter the existing valve sleeves and valves adapting the valves ends to several narrow rings in place of the 2 compression ring on a bull ring design. Pistons will need to be replaced or remachined, so let's think about an outer layer of aluminum bronze or silicone bronze welded on, and adapting from the double ring to a multiple ring design. I'm envisioning mechanical force feed lubrication to the valves through the walls of the valve chests and sleeves, and to the cylinders at the bottom at the center of the stroke.

Anybody think any of this is a bad concept please improve it.

Once we have this sketched out, it can be a basis for comparing against more extensive rebuilding plans. I think this is the minimum reasonable overhaul likely to be made given the condition of the locomotive as she sits and what we have learned since 1926, and is likely to produce a much better locomotive than 110 new. If there's a good case to be made for more extensive rebuilding, at least we will know what it is relative to......

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rings, grooves and lands criteria

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

OK, I'm now embarrassed by my not knowing the "rules" for designing rings and grooves. Anybody know how to do that right, or can point towards a source?

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top