Welcome aboard!

Go down

Welcome aboard!

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Dave Lathrop here, the instigator in chief of this community project, and whatever amount of cat-herding is required. I'm also second banana on the Project 110 management team, Dave Dick, who lives near the railway, is the man in charge. I've hoped to have a chance to work with many of the brain trust I've shared the SteamTech list with, and finally here's a very practical project with a real payoff down the line for us to make happen.

Hugh Odom has very generously volunteered to take charge of the technicalities of running this forum, having proven his mettle with the Ultimate Steam pages. He also drew the General Arrangement drawing to replace a fire damaged one that was in such poor condition the archivist could not copy it. We've been much luckier with the rest of the archive - almost any drawing to make any part is in it, and all are posted for us to see at our convenience. Vulcan, like many small producers, used components they had designed for previous clients to make new locomotives, so a lot of the drawings refer to older production. The history in just the drawings is fascinating.

We'll get deeper into the actual condition of 110 soon, with more to come is it comes to light. 110 is probably the most sophisticated, professionally approached restoration project on the NHVRR. None so far have been planned and funded in advance, it's been all reactive and made up as it went along. The membership is changing for the more rational, and the railroad is slowly prospering, and this is going to be the most visible example of that progress. I have no fear it won't get done - I want to make sure it gets done as well as it can be done.

Thank you for your support, and let's have a fine time making something interesting happen together.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome aboard!

Post by Low_Water_Odom on Fri May 17, 2013 6:13 pm

This is Hugh- I'm here. I'll post as Low_Water_Odom (the name relates to my first experience with operating live steam about 25 years ago) but I'm also the admin.

Looks like a lot of people have already registered. The system neglected to give me any sort of notification; I logged on earlier today and approved everyone's membership.

Looking forward to getting this train rolling....

Hugh "Low Water" Odom

Low_Water_Odom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by valvepilot on Fri May 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Dave-
Could you give us an idea of the service that will be required from this locomotive after restoration? Basically, I'm assuming that it will only be operated on the NHV. I have only been there once, so I can't remember much of the track profile, except that there is a fairly decent hill near the station. What is max speed, gradient, curvature, etc? How frequently will the engine run? Weekends only? 7 days a week? What tonnage will the engine be expected to pull? A basic understanding of its operating profile will allow more relevant suggestions. Thanks! -Chris Zahrt

valvepilot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

Definitely will be pulling at least a 5 car train at new Hope Valley RR. our 0-4-0T can provide more than adequate power, but the boiler is maxed out in terms of steam production. hence, our need for a bigger engine. I'll post the proposal laying all this out when i figure out how.

Not as definite but possible: traveling to other railroads for special events. 110 will just fit on the lowboy we use for equipment moves with minimal disassembly, so it's transportable. NHVRR currently runs on one weekend per month, 5 trips per day - making very poor use of the possibilities for growth in the second largest and most wealthy MSA in NC. I would be very disappointed of the programming and amount of use didn't grow.......so we do need to plan for bigger, better and more as yet undefined.

What we don't want to do is design 110 into another practical limitation.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Overmod on Sun May 19, 2013 12:12 am

Robert M. Ellsworth here -- honored and delighted to be involved in this effort.

Overmod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Sun May 19, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks Robert, you are well on your way to being the Man With a Million Ideas......and this is the perfect time to throw out a wide variety of perspectives to consider, no matter how far their distance might be from "the box." I'll start to pull things back a bit once a more robust discussion has started with more people involved and focus on what's most practical as a benchmark, and where we might go from there. You've certainly made me look at some things that weren't on my radar.....

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Overmod on Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 am

Believe it or not, I've been including practicality in most of what I've been saying, with the only real complication being the valve construction. I'm looking forward to the rest of the project members coming in with their thoughts and wisdom. I'll dance with those when they bring them, too...

Overmod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Overmod on Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 am

[Edit: removed accidental double post]

Perhaps a better way to put that: At this stage we're still "brainstorming" to an extent. We can very quickly throttle back to suit operational or financial constraints. One of my concerns is that we not inadvertently hobble either the design or the instantiation by compromising some part of the design early. In programming we sometimes leave 'hooks' where features can be added later without extensive redesign. We can do the same in design if we do a certain amount of 'future-proofing.' If we don't, we may be stuck with the results of too little forethought... as others in steam development have sometimes found.

Last edited by Overmod on Fri May 24, 2013 7:10 am; edited 3 times in total

Overmod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome aboard!

Post by Wayne Laepple on Sun May 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Well, I'm here as an observer at this point. Though I've worked around steam for nearly 50 years, all my experience has been with "traditional" applications. I've been a grunt on a number of projects, holding the dumb end of the tape measure or beating on pieces of hot iron. I'm a lot better at taking things apart than I am at reassembly. Very Happy I've read through all the discussions, and I admit I'm in way over my head. Dave invited me to be a part of this project in view of my journalism background, and I guess that's where I'm best suited.

Wayne Laepple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Wayne isn't an engineer or designer, but he has a lifetime of practical experience and provides a less technical POV. Combined with his expertise in communication, I'm hoping he will be the guy to request explainations that any interested steam guy without an engineering degree can understand or translate them into plain English....help keep us honest that way. One thing I hope this forum will do is encourage less technical steam operators to think more broadly about improving their projects, not just replicating worn out parts with less worn out parts.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wilkinsdm on Thu May 23, 2013 11:35 pm

David Wilkins. Can't really figure out how I got included in such esteemed company. I've operated steam before, but it has been over ten years, but that could change soon.

I'm an attorney by profession, currently residing in the St. Louis area.

wilkinsdm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Fri May 24, 2013 10:36 am

Counselor Wilkins also just got his copy of Red Devil......and if it prompts any ideas he might care to contribute here, great. His experience and amont of technical knowledge mirrors that of the audience this forum could best help if we can keep some discussions and ideas flowing.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Durden on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:34 pm

HI All. Andrew Durden. I'm the Operations Manager at the Southeastern Railway Museum at Duluth, GA, home of another Stone Mountain alum, Red River & Gulf 104/Louisiana Eastern 1. I have lurked for a while but never stepped forward until now.

If we get the 104/1 (a 4-4-0 built by Baldwin in 1919) running, as is the long term plan, we'll deal with many of the issues that the New Hope group is seeing with the 110. The discussions on oil firing and exhaust are of interest since we have operated, and are now overhauling, a locomotive (Georgia Power 0-6-0T 97)that was converted to oil firing by a power plant. It received a rather interesting firing system, to say the least. A traditional firing system was installed during the last overhaul and worked well, but there is always room for improvement.

Andrew Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Welcome Andrew, very pleased to have you join us. I wouldn't be surprised if our British brothers have done some drafting and firing work on USA 0-6-0Ts, and may have some good advice.

A special 110 work weekend has been scheduled for Nov. 2 and 3. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can tear yourself away from Duluth, as is anybody else on this list who wants to come by. We're going to explore the last unknown, the valves and cylinders. I will be posting some photos of what we find there, interior boiler shots, and whatever else looks interesting.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down