New Sub-forum Created for Number 17

Go down

New Sub-forum Created for Number 17

Post by Admin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 pm

The previous posts for No. 17 were sort of "orphaned" as they didn't show up on the main forum display.  I've added this topic listing for further discussions on possible exhaust and oil-firing improvements for No. 17.

Previous posts on No. 17 can be found here:

http://cliffside110.forumotion.com/t21-let-s-look-at-17-a-bit

The old thread has been locked so that all new discussion will be in this thread.

Hugh

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://cliffside110.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sub-forum Created for Number 17

Post by Overmod on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Hugh, I recommend that you (as administrator) rework the directory structure here to reflect the fact that all-new discussions of #17 are being taken up, or establish the equivalent of a 'high-level domain' within the Cliffside 110 structure that is just for #17 discussions and then move all the specific #17 threads so they only appear there and not 'admixed' with #110 discussions and issues.

I have no apparent trouble accessing this with the information you sent (and Firefox did in fact have a login password 'ready' for my old username when I arrived) so I recommend we keep all the discussions and documentation here. Do we want a repository structure like the one Nate built for the T1 Trust?

RME

Overmod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Robert,

I'll see what I can do in the next few days. It's been ~5 years since we had a discussion going here so it may take me a while to get up to speed.

A repository structure (I assume you mean for drawings and other reference documents) would be good.

Hugh

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://cliffside110.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Overmod on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 am

I think there are two matters of concern that need to be addressed in how this moves forward, which may result in moving at least part of the discussion (and associated files and intellectual-property representations) to a different platform or protecting them in different ways.

Jos indicated he did not want to post certain material in "open" (or easily searchable) ways.  I do not know if this represents 'business' concerns as discussions of Porta Treatment science do, but I found it ridiculously easy to get directly to the #17 thread (in fact, masquerading as the entire forumotion discussion!) where I could read every word without security protection of any kind.  Now that I am persistently logged in with new credentials, I go to top level as expected, but there has now been enough 'open' mention of the "Cliffside 110 forum" that anyone even remotely interested would be able to access the relevant threads of posting.

The basic principle of the T1 repository was to provide a code-protected location for the technical resources -- the drawings, of course, but also things like nominally copyright-protected book chapters and magazine articles that are the equivalent of fair-use copies passed between friends for reading -- that could NOT be accessed in any 'open' way.  I am not sure exactly what digital representation or protections Nate used in setting up, and I found I like it that way as 'the best security has the least discussion', but suspect it involves storage in noncommon format with conversion upon requested download, and that would be something I recommend as it ensures bots/spiders etc. have nothing meaningful to index while (at least in theory) keeping the directory structure in the repository clear and navigable.

A begged question, which we might vote on (or hear from Jos in particular about): Should we have a separate forum, or site, or set of threads on steam_tech, specifically directed to issues concerning #17? And address any valid access-control or structural issues in development of that new site?

Overmod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 am

Also, a resource that has gone away since the previous incarnation was the Norser.Net repository of 17's collection of drawings. Mike MacLean has the digital files but noplace to put them for access. I don't think they are in any way proprietary, bot they take up space - if we could find a place to park them it would be great.

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Guy on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 am

Dave, would Dropbox work for that?
Michael Guy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:37 am

I don't know - the one associated with this forum won't take files that large, but I know there are places that do out there somewhere. If you know of one perhaps you can get with Mike and get the files imported. Mike didn't have success with the drop box idea, don't know why.

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Guy on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:00 am

The free basic dropbox account gets you only 2GB of storage. A fee of $11/month bumps that to 1TB.
Michael Guy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:43 pm

I think that explains its demise.

DaveLathrop57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content