Cliffside 110
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Combuistion and fuel starting point.

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Combuistion and fuel starting point. - Page 2 Empty Re: Combuistion and fuel starting point.

Post by DaveLathrop57 Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm

Well, if I thought I was confused before........

Ok wind box is what i thought it was. Clear. Little rooms with seperate doors and each serving its own windows.

The rest of it sounds to me (given my lack of a degree in engineering or advanced theoretical physics) like a complex solution to what's not as complex a problem. It's nice to have an idea what is theoretically possible........but we have to build something and keep it in good order under the kind of conditions that kill delicate and complex in short order. There's no gain in sustainability if the cost of maintenance is greater than the economy in operation.

So, I think at this point we need to pretty much limit ourselves to hardware that can be built using tools common to railroad shops or standard products available and supportable off the shelf at reasonable cost.

So, using standard types of steam atomizing burners, how could we configure a 4 burner cluster that can be regulated to spotfire, or can be partially shut down for spotfiring but would be self relighting when the fireman tells it to?

If we can get this conceptually worked out, we can deal with fine tuning burners for the finest possible atomization given required robustness later on, should we decide this is superior to a single burnner installation.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

Back to top Go down

Combuistion and fuel starting point. - Page 2 Empty Re: Combuistion and fuel starting point.

Post by Overmod Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 am

Pick your specific burner technology and I will start to work. The catch is that the plume has to be directed up from the corners, which to me indicates the von Boden-Ingles slot approach will not work without mechanical oil pressurization. Once you have high-pressure pumping, rotary atomization seems to be a logical follow-on to get the very best practical heat out of a burner, but I certainly appreciate one-piece robust no-delicate-moving-part KISS technology. Now somebody give me the short course (again - I know we've covered this in divers forums and groups, but it would be nice to recap it here.

I had thought that the easiest way to modulate the burners would be to put a two-stage solenoid valve in the fuel line. Unengaged - automatic cutoff. Half-engaged - low-order fuel flow. Full engage, high fire. Simple mechanical controller, like a stoplight controller, could easily run these, and emergency operation should be easy and intuitive. No silicon if you don't want it...

Overmod

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 am

OK, let's start with Laidlaw Drew since I have a book on it to post here later on (hopefully this afternoon). Thaks for your patience and contributions as I frustrate you working to overcome my ignorance.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

Back to top Go down

Post by Overmod Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm looking forward to what you have on Liadlaw-Drew; will check some of my sources in the meantime.  (As a peripheral question, is a Racer burner out of our scope?)

You are far from ignorant, and even if it were unfamiliar, lack of specific information is not ignorance in the correct sense, let alone a sign of stupidity.

If it is not clear, ASK FOR A REWRITE:  The issue is in my use of the language, not in 'The Knowledge"...

Last edited by Overmod on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Overmod

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveLathrop57 Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, I'm ignorant about the Racer burner........and I'm pretty sure I'm also nowhere near as knowledgeable about physics and specifics in engineering as you and some others here are. This is a good thing, however - because the people we need to educate know at least as little about this formal technical stuff as I do. So, if I can grok it, it's probably going to be valuable for others to read. Also, my mind doesn't work mathematically, I need to mentally envision something rather than try to comprehend it through numerical descriptions of its concepts. Once I get that, then the numbers start to make sense, at least some of them.

Laidlaw Drew book excerpted to what was useful for us in the drawings, etc section.

Dave

DaveLathrop57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2